Make Doing the Dishes Easier by Using a Tub
Doing the dishes—or “washing up” as the Brits call it—is the worst part of cooking and feeding yourself at home. Though I have developed little tricks for motivating myself, few things make the task of washing cookware in a single, undivided sink easier than the humble dish tub.
Formerly known to me as “that weird piece of Tupperware my British friend, Ian, keeps in his sink,” the dish tub has become an integral part of my dish washing process. Unlike other, slightly unnecessary British things, you need one in your kitchen (unless you have a dishwasher, in which case, just sit there smugly). Putting a basin inside another basin may seem redundant but, trust me, it is not. It is the exact opposite, especially if you don’t have a split sink. The dish tub cuts down on water waste and frees up your sink, meaning you have room to scrub and rinse. If you still are having a hard time grasping exactly how it works, let me walk you through the process:
- Start with a clean, empty—possibly shined—sink.
- Once you know you will be generating dishes, place the tub in the sink and fill it with hot, soapy water.
- Place dirty dishes and utensils in the tub as they are generated.
- Once you are ready to wash the dishes, lift the tub out of the sink and set it on the counter.
- Marvel at the vast amount of space you have to rinse and scrub, and the amazing amount of water you saved not filling up your whole sink.
- Remove the dishes from the tub and rinse them, scrubbing those that need it. (Most will be fine with just a rinse after their soak in hot soapy water.)
- Once the dish tub is empty, use the dish water to water some plants, if you have them.
- Give the tub itself a wash, and dry it thoroughly. Place it back in the sink.
Where does one find a dish tub? I found mine at a hardware supply store for about six bucks—it actually said “dish tub” on the label—but any plastic bin will do. Clean it regularly and sterilize it every once in a while with a diluted bleach solution, and your dish tub will make your life easier for years to come.
Save a Podcast for Washing Dishes
Plain White Vinegar Is the Dishwashing Hero You Need
Moisturize Your Hands While Doing Dishes
Article source: “https://skillet.lifehacker.com/make-doing-the-dishes-easier-by-using-a-tub-1826837330”